As hurricane season finally comes to an end, we are excited to celebrate with Coast Projects at the Coast is Clear benefit concert and music festival. Billy and the crew at Coast have brought together an exciting lineup of both national and local musicians including G.Love, Rayland Baxter, Langhorne Slim, Rorey Carroll, Patrick and Swayzees, The Skank and more. To us Coast Projects is a gleaming beacon of light in the local music and art scene here in the keys. As the music scene in Key West continues to mature and new venues and amphitheaters are opening up we are still stuck with acts that are directed at an older audience. The local concert promoters seem a bit too focused on the 50+ crowd of tourists and little is being done to attract the many young people living in the keys. Coast is helping to shift that paradigm and is creating a scene where there was none before.
In an era of diminishing authenticity for Key West as chain stores invade Duval St. and we are looking more and more like the rest of America, Coast is creating a space that feels like old Key West. Their humble boat yard on Stock Island complete with its salvaged driftwood stage, skate ramp and collection of funky campers, likens back to a time most people probably thought was gone forever. Seeing an act like G. Love there feels like watching an awesome show in your friends backyard that shouldn’t be allowed to take place. There is a miraculous vibe to the events there. I had to sort of pinch myself to see if it was really happening. At the last G. Love show, after a solo set with his guitar and harmonica, G brought up the members of The Skank for an extended jam session that was one of my favorite live music moments of all time. Seeing local heroes like Jeff Clark getting down and holding their own with G. Love… being close enough to watch them interact and call the changes… freestyle rapping and each member taking a ripping solo… it was just awesome to be there.
What they have planned this time is extra special and it is just the kind of thing that makes living here awesome. The “Singers in the Round” show at Blue Heaven with Rayland Baxter, Langhorne Slim and Rory Carrol along with the unannounced pop-up performances are what will bring acts like this back to perform here. We don’t have the largest crowds. The musicians won’t make the most money, but that isn’t the point. The casual nature of these shows, small crowds and intimate venues are the antithesis of performing or watching music at a mega corporate festival. We believe Coast is onto something and for fans of live music, they are exactly what Key West needs right now.
Coast Is Clear, Day One: Thursday, 11/30 in Bahama Village
- 11:00am: Will-call opens at The COAST Outpost — 803 Whitehead Street. Pick up wristbands, t-shirts, etc.
- 4:00pm: Poolside set with local music and happy hour at The COAST Outpost. Open to all pass holders.
- 5:30pm: Soundcheck at The Green Parrot with Patrick & The Swayzees. Open to all pass holders. There will be a $10 cover for anyone without a wristband.
- 7:00pm: Blue Heaven dinner set with Cayman & Friends. Open to all pass holders and dinner guests. Drinks and dinner available for purchase.
- 8:30pm: Blue Heaven “Singers in the Round” with Langhorne Slim, Rayland Baxter and Rorey Carroll on the back stage. This is only open pass holders and is not-to-be-missed! If it’s not sold out, we will sell tickets for $30 at the door.
- 9:30pm: Patrick & The Swayzees and The Skank at Green Parrot. Local jam with $10 cover for any folks without wristbands.
- 10:30pm & Onwards: Special guest appearances at unannounced spots. You’ll just have to keep your ears open and stay tuned…
Coast Is Clear, Day Two: Friday, 12/1 on Stock Island
- 4:00pm: Will-call and happy hour at Hogfish. Come for food and drinks, listen to music and pick up your wristbands ahead of the crowd.
- 5:00pm: Doors and will-call open at COAST. All COAST performances require either a single day (Friday) pass or a two-day pass. If tickets remain or aren’t claimed by 7:00pm, passes will be available at the door for $60.
- 5:00pm: Local band (TBD) on the front stage
- 5:45pm: Rorey Carroll on the main stage
- 6:45pm: Local act on the front stage
- 7:15pm: Rayland Baxter on the main stage
- 8:30pm: Langhorne Slim on the main stage
- 9:45pm: The Skank on the front stage
- 10:15pm: G. Love on the main stage
For tickets and more info head over to Coast Projects. We will see you there for sure!